The Pediatric Urology Nurse Specialists (or PUNS) is a professional organization dedicated to improving the care of pediatric urology patients through educational programs, research collaboration, and evidence based clinical practice.
The “Kids’ Guide to Using a Catheter” app is the simple, easy-to-use companion for helping teach boys and girls to be independent and confident in their self-catheterization.
This interactive app helps kids understand this challenging topic using:
- dynamic animations
- intuitive navigation
- sound queues
- pop-up explanations
- multilingual support
- Discuss how our bodies work, and why some people need to use a catheter.
- Teach about the relationship between the bladder, brain and the kidneys.
- Explain why bladder care and emptying on a regular schedule is so important.
- Plan the day and learn how to create a schedule for when and where it’s best to go. Different scenarios explore the school day, travel and fun activities away from home.
- Prepare for self-catheterization by building a kit of supplies.
- Learn the four steps to self-catheterization: Get Prepared, Get Clean, Insert the Catheter and Empty all the Way
Download the Kids Guide from the Apple AppStore